Re: [opensuse] OT: Using dd to upgrade a win ssd drive
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Duaine Hechler <dahechler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
This is sort of OT:

I have a dell Inspiron Mini 9 (910) running Win Xp with a 4GB SSD drive (was
Linux)

I'm in the process of upgrading it to a 16GB SSD drive (been purchased).

Can I use "dd" to go from the SSD drive to a USB drive then to the new SSD
drive ? And still boot ?

The answer I'm almost positive is yes.

Are you sure you mean 4GB, not 40GB, etc.

Regardless, I would do:

dd if=/dev/sda of=my_image_file conv=noerror,sync bs=4kb

to make a copy of the ssd to a "image" file on your usb drive.

Then reverse the if and of parameters to restore the file to the new
SSD. You will find that most of the big SSD is unpartitioned, so you
need to add a partition to use the space or grow your existing
partition to fill the space.

fyi: dc3dd is in the security repo and part of the 12.2 release. It
is a more robust form of dd that will calculate MD5 hashes of the
source drive and allow you to verify the MD5 hash of your image file.

Greg