Re: [opensuse] Router firewall vs openSUSE firewall
On 08/28/2012 06:49 AM, James Knott wrote:
> Bob Williams wrote:
>> Is it safe to rely on the router firewall alone, combined with NAT,
>> always accepting that safety is a relative term?
>
> Well, many commercial boxes run on Linux or BSD.
>
> My firewall/router is openSUSE 11.4 on an old Compaq computer. Of course, security in depth can be more secure than a single layer.

My only thought is, "How bad would someone want to get into your system?"

Here at home we just rely on the routers firewall. We run the cheap Cisco/Linksys routers with the DDWRT software. It's a bit better than the standard Linksys software. We turn off broadcast for wireless. That way the system is not visible to a casual scan. There's nothing here that would warrant someone spending an excessive amount of time hacking into.

--
A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America’ for any amount, up to and including their life.