Re: systemd kool-aid [was Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?]
On 8/27/2012 11:22 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 08/14/2012 07:18 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
It's perfectly ok to invent systemd and for some systems to use it. That is
entirely within the free world of unix. But it's just not a good tool for
managing a general purpose OS like Suse. It's good for highly specialized,
limited, focused and managed black boxes like appliances, phones, tablets,
maybe chromebooks. But until it becomes as flexible as the shell scripts it's
replacing (which it could, they just refuse to), it's no good for a general
purpose OS. It makes the OS more efficient for some things, more manageable,
and less useful.

Why do distributions seem to drink the same kool-aid? Some seem to just run to
the punch bowl and fill their cup with the latest batch,
while others linger talking to friends until they get thirsty. However, due to
the fact that only one punch bowl is chilled -- all seem to
eventually drink from it.

I was just musing about that the other day while installing 12.1 and trying to
fathom the
seemingly every-other-year wholesale swapout of sound systems and their
component parts.

We've come from virtually no sound support back in the SuSE 5 days to having 3
or 4 systems
all stepping all over each other to determine who or what is going to handle
the sound.

And the about faces are sudden, and imperfect, with lots of stuff failing to
work, and just
when you thing its coming together there is another zig-zag. Reminds me of
small bird
flocks which all turn at once on no apparent signal, except for the few that
always
seem to get trimmed off, and have to play catch-up.

The co-pilot may not be on board yet, the cabin crew haven't got everyone in
their seats,
they are not finished fueling, we've got no clearance to taxi, two flat tires,
and one of
our engines wont spool up, but by god we are going to take off anyway.