Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:25:57 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-08-26 10:10, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

FYI, any old PC is sufficient. Our first Asterisk installation ran
on an old desktop machine.

Not if you load the answering robot :-p

Voicemail you mean?

It obviously depends on the number of people in your location, but our
server is a very elderly 1U HP Proliant 2x800MHz with 512M RAM. We
have 12 people, 4 ISDN BRI lines, voicemail and the usual stuff
(music-on-hold, parking, diversion etc etc).

One of the features of asterisk, if I understood it well, is that it
does codec translation. In normal VoIP, the the negotiation between
two points uses a registrar, but the conversation itself only involves
the end-points, the "phones". But with asterisk it is also involved,
because it is used to match different codecs between bot ends. I
suppose that if both can negotiate a common codec, they use it and
free asterisk, but if not, asterisk does the translation.
It means that with asterisk you can converse with anybody, but you
load more the machine

That is correct, but you just make sure you pick the right codec, and no
conversion is required. I can't remember which one, but it's called
G729-something. It's also used for ISDN and mobile phones, iirc.

- which is (one of the reasons?) why the documentation say that the
machine should not run X.

Well, it would usually be a server anyway.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.6°C)