Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I know that with VoIP machines you have a lot of liberty, you can do
anything with numbers and names and routings. It is up to you what you
do or fake, which also kind of scares me.
VoIP is completely independent of POTS, but maybe of course be connected
to it or carry the traffic.

Actually, my home "POTS" is delivered via VoIP. I have a terminal, sitting on my shelf, that connects between the cable TV network and my analog phones. There's a pair of regular RJ11 jacks on the back of it. I have also seen 8 port versions used in businesses.

Of course, the typical is having a company with two or more sites, and
routing the call, inside your network, to the POT network from the
site closest to the destination, so that the call is charged local
charges instead of long distance.
Even more typical is probably running all internal telephony as VoIP -
it saves running separate telephone-wiring, and is easily connected to
existing ethernet ditto. Also very popular is VoIP connections for
individuals who have a fibre or cable connection any way.

I recently did some work for a major insurance company, where they are moving to VoIP for inter office calls. The local offices get their local trunks from the phone company via analog POTS, T1 or POTS/VoIP similar to what I have at home. There is no reason why they couldn't use local VoIP trunks directly, but they weren't yet doing that.