Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 17:36:44 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-08-25 17:13, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

No, you accept calls identified by the Telco.

Which nowadays includes Skype calls with CLID=000. It also includes
calls with suppressed
or unavailable CLID. I guess calls with suppressed CLID could still
be known by the telco.

Yes, they are known by the telco, and the suppression can be denied if
you are some institution like the police or emergency service. Maybe
some call centers like banks, not sure.

Ah ok, I did have the feeling the telco sh/would know.

They both include all kinds of unidentified/able calls. I would like
to be able to ignore all calls with suppressed CLID, but
unfortunately some banks practice that by default. (and apparently
the employee cannot manually "un-suppress" it).

I believe the practice was ruled illegal here, in Spain. Any business
call must have call ID. Nowdays when I see a call without ID I know it
is a phony business and I tend to not lift the phone.

Same here, but my wife works for a bank, and all outbound calls have
suppressed CLID. I don't know the reasoning. It might be banking
secrecy related.

You can encrypt both login data and conversations (two separate
configs). We did that during my training.

You're right, SIP can be done with TLS, but I don't think our
Asterisk supports it (1.4.x, it's back-level).

Ah, that's possible.

The asterisk documentation warns about many security risks and say
that you must keep your installation updated :-)

Yup, we're on the most recent 1.4.x :-) - I think the next release is
1.8, but lots of stuff changed so we're staying with 1.4.x until we
cannot avoid upgrading. That's the problem with stuff that just have
to work - you don't get to work on it very often.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.2°C)