Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 15:51:42 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I know that with VoIP machines you have a lot of liberty, you can do
anything with numbers and names and routings. It is up to you what you
do or fake, which also kind of scares me.

VoIP is completely independent of POTS, but maybe of course be connected
to it or carry the traffic.

Of course, the typical is having a company with two or more sites, and
routing the call, inside your network, to the POT network from the
site closest to the destination, so that the call is charged local
charges instead of long distance.

Even more typical is probably running all internal telephony as VoIP -
it saves running separate telephone-wiring, and is easily connected to
existing ethernet ditto. Also very popular is VoIP connections for
individuals who have a fibre or cable connection any way.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.6°C)