Re: [opensuse] Re: how to update iso image of opensuse releases to the latest (fixed) packages that had been released ever since gold status?
  • From: cagsm <cumandgets0mem00f@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 12:19:31 +0200
Me too. I don't normally add online repos because my internet connection is
slow and it would
take ages. But I tried sometimes to have packman enabled, and failed. This
last time from
11.4 to 12.1 I haven't tried.
so is there an official way on how to make the install and upgrade process
to recognize a
locally held repo that would already be populated with crucial patches and
stuff that
eventually got/will have been released by the time I actually dare to do the
upgrade?
Interesting. It would work via local network, I think.

so seriously, the question is, can opensuse installation processes and
applications make use of repositories (even local file/directories)
DURING install/upgrade time?

whenever I have upgraded an opensuse to opensuse+1, there is some
repository summary screen that says all found repos (in the config
files) have been disabled for this update/install time.

was it ever considered in the workflow and algorithms of zypper, yast
and rpm and whatever other parts are taking parts in this installation
and upgrade procedures, that it can check its own packages packages
inside the iso media AND check an additional repository area if there
are any NEWER packages there and use those then instead?

this somehow still fails if there is actually an rpm, yast, zypper or
such tools affected which are the currently running utilities from the
locked down iso image.

please do elaborate how I make use of a repo WHILE
upgrading/installing from the iso image (dvd/usbkey) itself.
also I have many systems that dont use mere ethernet connections to
some outside world that could actually fetch a remote repository live
on the fly while installing or upgrading, but which are doing xdsl
connections directly from this opensuse system itself, and needing the
whole networkstack and pppoe or even vlan and combination of these
things as a prerequisite to do any network stuff.

and I have never so far observed that the installer and upgrader of
opensuse would actually use and activate the network into these depths
of configuration. maybe the installer and upgrader can use normal eth
devices and even do dhcp or fixed lan address or so, but I doubt it
can use the configuration stored inside the to-be-upgraded system and
bootup its pppoe devices and stuff like that.

thanks for helping.