Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:12:25 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-08-23 20:45, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Making calls to somebody else registered on another server?
Normally any sane asterisk will refuse an incoming call from
another asterisk that is unknown.

No it won't - it would never receive any external calls if it did.
Any SIP-client can call me at sip://per@xxxxxxxxx without my
asterisk server knowing about where it comes from other than it's
IP-address.

I thought that was considered a security risk.

Without direct and reverse DNS check, at least?

Yes, I expect Asterisk does that, but mostly for display reasons.

Maybe we're are mixing things up - I don't quite see the security risk
in receiving a VoIP call from someone@some.where on the internet? The
caller will not be registering on my Asterisk server, it's only an
inbound call that is routed to whoever the caller wants. In my case,
my phone on my desk (a Linksys SPA) is registered with the Asterisk
server as extension #123, and calls to sip://per@xxxxxxxxx are routed
to that. That's all.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.8°C)