Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:02:58 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Also, the phone ID can be spoofed. I get plenty of telemarketing
calls where that is done. The originating switch or PBX is the one
that provides the ID and it can be set to anything.

Yep, Asterisk does that, but it is limited to the number-block assigned
to our lines, I think.

Also, a few years ago, I worked on a phone system where the customer
insisted there be no caller ID on outgoing calls, as it was for a
woman's shelter and they didn't want anyway for someone to track where
those women were.

Suppressed caller-id is a pretty normal thing. In Asterisk you can tell
whether CLID was suppressed or unavailable.

I have also set up VoIP PBXs, where someone in one location could call
through another location and appear as though they originated at that
2nd location.

Yep, that's also not a problem with Asterisk.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.9°C)