[opensuse] Re: Substitutes for Akonadi programs
Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi Togan:

I am seriously considering Emacs as the alternative for all of the
things you ask and for all the other stuff you didn't ask, they are all
integrated and from buffer to buffer I can copy cut paste stuff. The
learning process is slow but hey it is very rewarding with the sense of
peace one and the software does what I mean

Welcome to the club, I took the plunge years ago, The learning curve is
steep, but you won't regret it.

Gnus is good but I haven't yet fallen in love with it,

You will, once you get use to the way Gnus blurs the distinction between
different sources: mail, Usenet, RSS and Atom feeds, etc.

and for imap usage (not offlineimap) I found it slow, or my tweaking
is not good.

You should try "Ma Gnus" (the developmental version of Gnus). Lars put
in a lot of work and now imap is super fast. You can get it by doing:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git
#+END_SRC

BitlBee is the option and it will be used in combination with either
ERC or RCIRC

Yes, BitlBee with Erc will handle all your irc and IM needs with one
interface.

Although there is diary and calendar in Emacs, I found Org-Mode as the
best of all. My notes, agenda for the whole year are within it and hey
they are plain text files and end allowing me to read them in any
system

Other advantages of Org-mode (off the top of my head):

1. Being plain text one can automatically backed up into a git
repo or any other version control system.

2. One can export org files to almost anything.

3. If you program, you can integrate almost any language with
org-babel.

4. Very friendly and responsive community. Reported bugs are
usually fixed within minutes and the community is very
responsive to feature requests.

5. Smartphone integration via MobileOrg.

6. Superb outlining capabilities.

7. Can hyperlink to almost anything.

8. Easy capture of information both inside and outside Emacs with
templates.

9. Very powerful and flexible search capabilities.

10. Dynamically generated contents via dblocks.

11. System integration and automation via Emacsclient.

If you haven't yet, I suggest you join the Gnus and Org-mode users lists.

Charles

--
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"