Re: [opensuse] How can I make Yast happy when JRE is installed?
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:23:19 +0200

On 2012-08-22 12:12, DenverD wrote:
On 08/22/2012 01:18 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Is there some other way to make yast happy and recognize that Java IS
indeed installed
in the system?

i also failed (ignorance?) to move from SUN Java 6 to 7 on my 11.4
day-before-last--the
same day my banks locked me out because i was running 'old' and 'dangerous'
software!

tried it with YaST Software Management and then zypper...both installed ok
but neither
Firefox nor Chrome could find/use it..

I'm using 1.6 JRE because that's the one that they assume I have installed.
Banks,
institutions, code generated for windows that also works in Linux and which
balks if java is
from a different vendor with strange errors... so yes, I have to use JRE.

I'm not a java expert and do not know how to tell each java program which of
the installed
java versions to use, except to make another one the default java with the
updatealternatives
thing.

denverd@linux:~> java -version java version "1.7.0_05" Java(TM) SE Runtime
Environment
(build 1.7.0_05-b06) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.1-b03, mixed
mode)
denverd@linux:~>

cer@Telcontar:~> java -version
java version "1.6.0_33"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.8-b03, mixed mode)
cer@Telcontar:~>

It is simple, I just install their rpm and make it the default java with
update alternatives.

It would be useful to know which java components installed by openSUSE
correspond to which Sun-supplied components. There is more than JRE,
isn't there?

After the Sun components are installed, I gather, for general use
(browsers and such), there is no longer any need for any other Java
implementations?

Although java seems to be working on my 12.2 system, I think there is a
bit of Java chaff still floating about the place...

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20