Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On 08/14/2012 07:30 PM, David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, j debert wrote:
I would have said more like Windows and it's monolithic
do-everything-under-the-sun style of coding and constant reinventing
of the wheel rather than using what is already there and piping
between tools. Like, why reinvent sed in python? Just build a script
and call sed. Simple, right? There are many existing tools that are
not being used because... Why??? Baffling. And what's starting to
happen: The tools are disappearing, deprecated because people prefer
to reinvent the wheel, do things the hard way, so no one uses them and
when you need them, *they're not there anymore!*

Such as? Anyway: I like the *nix style. I use ed if applicable, sed,
awk, perl, grep, agrep, sgrep, pcregrep, cut, sort, cat, tac, head,
tail, find, xargs, ...

Oh, I think afio is gone from the distro.

There I was, writing the above and trying to remember what it was that
was missing... Sorry, I can't recall anymore, other than dc and bc,
both of which came back in a much later major rev. And both libtool
and autoconf disappeared for a while as well. I do remember how
annoying it was to upgrade and then find my scripts didn't work
anymore and being dogged by very unhappy bosses wanting to know where
their reports were. I eventually managed to use the source to replace
them. There has been talk of removing "legacy" tools because they have
been around since prehistoric times and are well, just old, y'know.

jd