Re: [opensuse] Linux RAID and different version of openSUSE
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:16:18 +0200
On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 16:00 +0100, Bob Williams wrote:

AFAIK you should have no problems. I have kept my /home on a software
RAID1 array through several upgrades.

You would be mounting the device /dev/md0 at a particular mountpoint, eg
/home or /mnt. The system doesn't care if /dev/md0 comprises one or
several physical disks, that's a job for the mirroring software (mdadm).

I think my concern is if there is something stored on the disk related
to 'md' that might be updated in 12.x, and not be compatible with 11.2.

However, if your disks contain configuration files, which is highly
likely if they are users /home directories, then these will be altered
by the upgrade process, and may not be compatible when you revert to oS
11.2. This won't apply if they just contain data, such as documents,
pictures etc.

The disks contain subversion repositories, a few Trac web sites, etc.
All things that are more application version dependent than OS/GUI
dependent. So, in addition to the RAID issue, I will have to see about
things like subversion. I may update subversion on the 11.2 to whatever
is on 12.x so that version will be the same. That is a different bit of
fun...

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST