Re: [opensuse] Re: Separate /usr?
On 08/15/2012 08:44 AM, Joachim Schrod wrote:
David Haller wrote:
In my opinion, the first real opensource program was and is TeX.

==== ftp://ftp.ctan.org/pub/tex/systems/knuth/dist/tex/tex.web ====
% This program is copyright (C) 1982 by D. E. Knuth; all rights are reserved.
Well, full agreement. Welcome to my world, that's my realm. :-)

My first copy of TeX is from 1979, and it's not yet in WEB. It
still used SAIL Pascal, and we ported it to our BS2000 mainframe. I
was responsible to write the DVI driver (in assembler, at this
time) for a needle printer with a whopping 120dpi. We produced
books on that, it beat typewriter-style manuscripts with
hand-written formulas by miles.

Within the wider TeX community, I'm active and visible as a
developer since 1982. Since some time I'm not active in the LaTeX
core group any more (my major accomplishment there was the kernel
internationalizaton that Babel uses and that went into 2e), but I'm
still upstream for some DVI drivers and for xindy, and I'm one of
three remaining CTAN maintainers.

Hi Joachim

I want to thank you for your decades of service to the scientific community.
TeX
is still of critical importance to those scientists who care about the quality
of
their papers.

I'll blind-copy this to folks who I know are actively using TeX, maybe you'll
hear
from them privately.

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang