Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
  • From: Robin Klitscher <robin.klitscher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:45:47 +1200
On 15/08/12 12:18, Brian K. White wrote:

So it's a balance. Some standardization is helpful. Utter anarchy isn't
useful because no admin or user can ever figure out anyone elses system,
and no software can be shared between systems. But too much removes what
is the _core_ value of unix in the first place.

Which, in a nutshell, is what I was trying to say in my own clumsy way.
Balance is the watchword - balance between impenetrable chaos and
stultifying order.

Or, come to think of it, perhaps a better word is discipline. And in
that context, as the man said, there's no such thing as a free lunch....

--
Robin K
Wellington "Harbour City"