Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
Hello,

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Anton Aylward wrote:
Per Jessen said the following on 08/14/2012 01:07 PM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

I then did the fiddly bit as descried in the relevant section here
http://www.linuxweblog.com/convert-root-filesytem-lvm-over-raid
sections 6, 7 and 8

The reboot give me a panic, but without enough information as to why.

Unable to mount root device?
[..]
But the root is on the LVM
The reason I asked about initrd was not about how it was made up. the
cpio/compress, (I knew about that and had peeked) but whether it would
dynamically redefine /deb/boot since the entry in fstab and in the
grub.lst was /deb/mapper/vgmain-NewRoot
[..]
I conclude that the system in the initrd does NOT redefine root
according to the 'command line' of grub.lst but there is still more
going on.

As Per already told you: you need the LVM/DM stuff in your initrd!

So, add whatever dm-* modules you need for your stuff to the
variable INITRD_MODULES="..." in /etc/sysconfig/kernel and run
mkinitrd. Only then can / be mounted from the initrd as the new root
and consequently switched to it.

-dnh

--
Boy, you can find /everything/ on CPAN now. Modules for moving
countries? Cool. Probably redrawing borders based on some sort