[opensuse] Re: Separate /usr?
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 01:01:35 +0200
David C. Rankin wrote:
On 08/09/2012 11:11 PM, Rodney Baker wrote:
The FHS is complementary to the LSB which (afaik) openSuSE purports to be
more
or less compliant with (but I'm open to be corrected if that is wrong).
Therefore, openSuSE should also be compliant with the LHS.

It is the "more or less" part that has led to the complete failure of FHS to
accomplish the purposes for which it was envisioned. The FHS in its present
form
is an excellent standard which if complied with would provide for better cross
distro portability of all opensource code and accomplish its intended purpose
of
providing a standard framework of file locations to be relied on by those
developing software for Linux. The genesis of the project was to solve the
issue
years ago of "why do all the good games only run on ms..."

However, instead of embracing FHS, the opensource community created libtool,
automake, etc...

This is complete and utter bullsh*t.

We created libtool, automake, et.al. to cater for the differences
between UNIX(tm) systems, not for those puny differences in file
system layout people like you whine about. You obviously don't know
about the potential differences one has to care about when one
wants to develop, compile, and maintain an application for SunOS
(not Solaris!, at least not after 2.2), HP-UX, IRIX, AIX, Tru64
Unix, Ultrix, and -- last, but not least -- Eunice.

echo "Congratulations. You aren't running Eunice."
--Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution

(Nowadays Eunice doesn't even have a Wikipedia page anymore.)

I was there and was among those people who created this, I am witness.

Please do *not* try to rewrite history. You were not part of it.

Joachim