Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
Per Jessen said the following on 08/14/2012 01:07 PM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

I then did the fiddly bit as descried in the relevant section here
http://www.linuxweblog.com/convert-root-filesytem-lvm-over-raid
sections 6, 7 and 8

The reboot give me a panic, but without enough information as to why.

Unable to mount root device?

Yes, I wondered about that.
The first iteration I saw that message and thought about it.

The baseline system has root on /dev/sda1 since that was how it was
installed

# ls -l /dev/root
brw------- 1 root root 8, 1 Aug 14 06:59 /dev/root
# ls -l /dev/sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Aug 14 06:59 /dev/sda1

But the root is on the LVM
The reason I asked about initrd was not about how it was made up. the
cpio/compress, (I knew about that and had peeked) but whether it would
dynamically redefine /deb/boot since the entry in fstab and in the
grub.lst was /deb/mapper/vgmain-NewRoot

# cd /mnt/disk
# ls -l dev/root
brw------- 1 root root 8, 1 Aug 12 11:53 deb/root

]# ls -l dev/vgmain/NewRoot
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Aug 12 11:57 dev/vgmain/NewRoot -> ../dm-8

# ls -l dev/dm-8
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 252, 8 Aug 12 11:57 dev/dm-8

So I removed dev/root and used mknod to create one that was "252,8"
The message about not being able to mount root went away but the panic -
with no explanation - was still there.

I conclude that the system in the initrd does NOT redefine root
according to the 'command line' of grub.lst but there is still more
going on.

--
There are two rules for success in life:
Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.