Re: [Summary/Solved] Re: [opensuse] Partition Recovery? Is it even missing to begin with or just shifted?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 08:05:51 +0200
David C. Rankin wrote:

On 08/13/2012 10:17 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
Do I wipe out the offending data in sda1 to remove the partition
boundary and
then reboot to correct the partition order? Something along the lines
of:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 skip=28 count=3

(just to catch either side of the sector 29 problem?)

How is the correct way to handle this if I want to preserve the
linux install?
Or, is that just not worth it, so I should just fdisk -l /dev/sda and
then d,d,d,d,d?

Well, a follow-on question,

I delete sda1 in fdisk and linux continues to boot fine, but the
partitions
are still:

sda2
sda3
sda5
sda6
sda7

What is the best way to rename sda2->sda2, sda3->sda2? (or does it
even matter
to the windows reinstall?) still booting from the first primary, even
though it is sda2??

The partition # doesn't matter, it's really just an index to the
partition table. I don't think WIndows cares either, but I'm not sure.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.0°C)