Re: [opensuse] Partition Recovery? Is it even missing to begin with or just shifted?
On 2012/08/13 03:24 (GMT+0200) David Haller composed:

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

The first 63 sectors comprise the boot track on traditionally
partitioned HDs larger than about 4GB. The last 62 of those usually
contain nothing, but on occasion OnTrack Disk Mangler or EZDive or
other mismanagement software might be found there on drives larger
than the BIOS supported at installation time, or some forms of RAID
info, or OS/2 LVM and Boot Manager info,

Actually, if you install Grub(1) into the MBR, it also uses that space
for its stage1.5 with the FS driver, in dcr's case MBR + sectors 1-19
inclusive.

As _I_ never allow anything but PC/MS-DOS legacy or compatible code in any of my <2TiB HD MBRs, Grub didn't come to mind as I was making that list. :-(

or on Windows systems, malware.

As it turned out in this case.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/