Re: [opensuse] hardware frequency modules
On 08/12/2012 03:41 AM, George Olson wrote:
On 08/12/2012 09:57 AM, j debert wrote:
On 08/10/2012 06:32 PM, George Olson wrote:

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Always be sure to use fans with ball bearings and not any using sleeve
bearings. The words "ball bearing" should be somewhere on the fan.
Personally, I'd use a more expensive brand known for good quality such
as U.S. Toyo Fan rather than some doubtful no-name Chinese brand.
Although the price is a bit higher, it is still much less than a new
CPU, mobo, power supply, etc., and these fans last almost forever.

Sleeve bearing fans have a short, unstable life and tend to be very
noisy until they fail. They should never be used in critical
applications such as CPU, power supply and component cooling.

jd

Thanks for the tip. Do you know if stock fan that usually comes with
an AMD processor a sleeve bearing fan? The only thing I have to
compare it with is that it really cools off the processor so much
better than the Deep Cool brand that I bought (which I think is more
than just a no-name brand, but is less than the stock brand).

The fans that come with AMD CPU kits are good and they should still
have ball bearings. They probably would not if the fans are swapped
out by the resellers or if the resellers buy bare CPU's bulk and adds
fans themeselves or if the CPU's are repackaged used ones or returns.
(Fry's has been notorious in the past for reselling used returns as
new with missing or wrong parts.) AMD fans used to have tamper evident
holographic labels with serial numbers. Hope this is still the case. I
haven't bought any recently so I can't say if they still do. Perhaps
someone else knows what the current state is?

Generally, the larger the heatsink and fan the better it will cool.
Other factors affecting cooling include the kind of thermal compound
and how it is applied, ambient air temperature, air flow, humidity,
whether there is fresh air flow or not, the size and position of
obstructions to air flow and how dirty the air is. It can get a little
complicated.

All fans make some noise. How much and what kind depend on the design
and the speed. But sleeve bearing fans make squealing or rattling
noises, obviously mechanical noises while running. They may be quiet
in the beginning but eventually, unless they seize first, they will
start squealing, et cetera. And then if they suddenly are silent, they
have likely seized and stopped turning. If you've bought cheap,
Chinese-made small room or personal fans from a box store you've
likely heard them start making loud noises or have seen them stop
turning after a few weeks or months of use. These fans don't have ball
bearings and when they fail they make sounds similar to the smaller
fans used for PC's.

Sorry for the long-winded response. I hope it's not too much
information for anyone. There used to be a hacker's article somewhere
about problems with using sleeve bearing fans in computers that
covered this very extensively. If I could find it I'd post it's link.

jd