Re: [opensuse] hardware frequency modules
On Sunday, August 12, 2012 06:41 AM George Olson wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Do you know if stock fan that usually comes with an
AMD processor a sleeve bearing fan? The only thing I have to compare it
with is that it really cools off the processor so much better than the
Deep Cool brand that I bought (which I think is more than just a no-name
brand, but is less than the stock brand).

The stock hs/fan changes with socket and/or platform. At 110F you are
comfortably within the operating range. The stock fan usually lasts several
years at minimum. It also is certainly not quiet.

You didn't say how the Deep Cool "didn't work", other than overheating.
Unless the fan was outright defective, it is much more likely that the cause
was how the heatsink was mounted. You might want to take another look at
that.

Unless you are overclocking, you should be fine with the stock heat sink; just
replace the fan. Overclockers and performance modders are partial to Delta,
Scythe, and Noctua. Antec, Rosewill, and Apevia make decent budget fans.

By the way, the 4th pin is for fan speed regulation. Your Asus board probably
has the "Q-Fan" feature which adjusts fan speed relative to cpu temp, i.e.,
when Cool'N'Quiet down throttles the cpu the temp will drop and with it the
fan speed and noise.

Hope that helps a bit.