Re: [opensuse] Mouse over flash area causes FF to crash
On 12/08/12 21:32, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 08/11/2012 09:03 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 11/08/12 20:05, Robert Schweikert wrote:
Hi,

When I move the mouse over an area on a web page that's a flash
animation FF crashes.

How about providing the URL for this page so that I, and others, can
look at it and see if I/also crash?

Sorry my original post was not quite correct, it should have read "any" instead of "an", as in "any flash area, any website".

Take your favorite site that has flash, I'm certain that's not hard to find.

Crahses observed on:
www.nytimes.com
www.bundesliga.de
www.verizon.com

and many others :(

Well, I cannot play any videos on these sites (and I cannot see any video on Verizon to even try and look at). However, I do try and play videos and while I cannot even see anything to start my Firefox does not crash.

I suspect that these places may not be using Flash for their videos as at least one of these - I it was the second URL - wanted me to install some plugin.

Having said this, I have no problems at all in playing "real" Flash videos such as those found on YouTube and BBC.co.uk and any other place which still uses Adobe flash.

I have HW acceleration in the flash-settings disabled.

openSUSE 12.1 x86_64
nouveau -- Gallium 0.4 on NV84 -- 2.1 Mesa 7.11
FF: 14.0.1
flash-player-11.2.202.236-24.1.x86_64

Perhaps it is the nouveau driver. Install the proper nVidia driver which
is now number 295.71 - if you get it directly from nVidia site and
compile it yourself; otherwise use YaST to install the driver shown in
the software listing.

hmmm, since the nouveau driver worked just fine for quite some time, I'd rather see if we can figure the issue out and get it fixed than use the proprietary NVidia driver. In addition I've had issues with the NVidia driver in the past and have little desire to step into that rat-hole again.

Hmm... I've been using nVidia drivers for many many years without any problems. If you are having problems then it seems that you have some hardware problems. (Right now I am using the very latest nVidia driver #295.71.)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.5.1-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor