Re: [opensuse] Installing multiple operating systems on same HDD
On 12/08/12 07:37, Istvan Gabor wrote:
2012. augusztus 11. 15:41 napon Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:
[.....]

Before I go and install oS 12.1 in sda7 I would like to know where do I
tell GRUB to boot from - extended partition, just like oS 12.2, or do I
use the 12.1 "/" entry for Grub's configuration? If I use the Extended
Partition will it overwrite whatever is there for the 12.2 installation?
[...........]

Hello:

I always chainload all my different operation systems.
In practice this looks like when you turn on the machine it
offers a grub or lilo (or other) boot loader menu where you
can choose which system to boot. If the chosen one is linux
then it directs to another boot loader where you can select from
kernel versions or failsafe mode etc. In case of Windows
it is booted directly (at leas in my case).

Have a look at this message / thread:

Istvan

Many thanks to you, Dennis and Carlos for your help. I now "get the idea". The bit I was really missing was that the additional system has to be manually added to menu.lst.

What was throwing me was that I naturally assumed that when I installed 12.2 after XP and grub automatically recognised that there was another operating system installed and made an entry for it in the menu.lst that it would the same when I install more systems - ie, create the correct entry/ies for it/them. But not so - one has to manually edit (the very first) menu.lst to add the additional systems.

Thanks again for your help.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.5.1-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor