Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 14:55 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
We can clearly identify thing like /usr/share which seem to have been
designed to be shared in this way. Logically at least even non-think
machines can share that resource.
Not sure what a 'non-think' machine is, but certainly machines with
different hardware architectures can share those directories.

He means non-thin.

There may be development libraries
which it is easier to keep updated at a single point: /usr/lib/ruby, or
if you are obsessive many of the library directories under /usr/lib.
IMHO, it is better to keep local copies of libraries, mainly for
performance reasons. In the case of development libraries there are
likely to be different versions in dev, test & production and careful
and comprehensive version management should be in place.

+1, this shared /usr parts thing is ancient thinking. It never had
anything to do with anything other than disks-are-expensive. They
aren't anymore. Even when I managed thin clients I rolled an NFS root
for each client. *MUCH* easier to manage. Then updates can be rolled
out rather than slam-dunked [fun - break everyone at once!]. And the
filesystem for thin clients these days will easily fit on a flash drive
- local, faster, and less network dependent.

Update schemes and package management is *FAR* superior to even 10 years
ago and light years more advanced than what was available back in the
disks-are-expensive days. Let the package management work, let volume
management or sub-volume [butter style] management work for use. These
are all around superior techniques.

There may also be shared resources like corporate cryptographic keys.
And you want to trust those to NFS :) You're avvin a larf, aincha?

+1

< Previous Next >