Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 21:24:47 Robin Klitscher wrote:
For many years I've been running successive versions of openSUSE with a
/usr partition separate from the root partition /. But I see that the
Fedora manuals insist that the practice of separating these two
filesystems can lead to dire results. I note, too, that there was a
problem with this in the early drops oS 12.2

Is there a problem here, or a potential problem, in openSUSE? Or can I
continue to separate these two filesystems with confidence?

A general reply to all in this thread; the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard is
currently being revised - the draft of v3.0 has been released by The Linux
Foundation and can be found here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb/fhs-30-draft-1

The base spec has not changed the purpose of /usr within the overall scheme
for Unix-like operating systems, however there is an os-specific annex
(section 6) for Linux which removes the separate /usr. This seems
contradictory to the main body of the spec, which states that the system must
be able to boot without /usr mounted, and the annex that states that nothing
in the annex should contradict the main spec.

There is a mailing list dedicated to discussing the FHS and also instructions
on filing bugs.

The mailing list is at:

Can I suggest that anyone who cares enough to argue about it here join that
list and contribute to the development of the final spec? If there are
specific use-cases that justify continued support for a separate /usr
partition (Anton - btw, I'm with you on this one) then the case for that
should be made in the appropriate forums while the spec is still in beta (so
that there is opportunity to have it fixed).

The FHS is complementary to the LSB which (afaik) openSuSE purports to be more
or less compliant with (but I'm open to be corrected if that is wrong).
Therefore, openSuSE should also be compliant with the LHS.