Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On 08/09/2012 09:08 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-08-09 21:02, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

;)

It's interesting that in this thread - if I didn't miss anything - many people
told why having
separate partitions are useful. I agree with that. I just don't remember seeing
a use case why
a separate /usr is beneficial.

No?

Go fetch those paper books you included with SuSE Professional not that long
ago. A separate /usr
was recommended there.

historical ;) - see below ;)

Yes, people do it - and openSUSE continues to support it - but the only
reasons I'm aware of are historical like [1].

So, what is the reason to create a separate /usr with openSUSE 12.2? Please
educate me ;)

Spreading the system over several hard disks, speeding filesystem access.

/usr is so tiny compared to the size of disks that I do not see that as an advantage *today*,

Andreas