Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
James Knott said the following on 08/09/2012 09:49 AM:
Anton Aylward wrote:
Andreas Jaeger said the following on 08/09/2012 07:59 AM:
On the other hand, going forward I suggest to not setup a separate /usr
anymore, there's no benefit in it.
Backups?
More to the point, management of backups.

Oh, right, you've got some Sony DAT tape thing that can take half a
terabyte and a budget for an endless supply of tapes ...

Unlike many of us ...

Is there really any need to back up /usr, unless you want a full "bare
metal" restore? Of course, there's no reason why you can't back up
individual subdirectories if needed.

I've met many managers/sysadmins who *DO* want to do full 'bare metal'
restores, usually in the belief that its fast and has a lower impact on
operations. They were all proven wrong because the normal business
processes required other backup/restore strategies such as of a project
or project specific database (which happened to be on a raw partition).

As it happens I do a lot of work in scripting languages, Ruby, Perl, and
update the libraries under /usr/lib. For me its worth having mountable
partitions for those so I can 'wipe' the basic /usr and hence /usr/lib
but retail my enhancements.

--
IOException: Jovian moons misaligned.