Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
Dave Howorth said the following on 08/09/2012 09:12 AM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

The two ideas are orthogonal. You can snapshot the LVM and then backup
selected files just as you would with live files.

Yes but why?

It seems very fiddle-fiddle.

Look: many people forget about backups.
We know its one of the "sore points" in administration, even in serious
corporate settings. Yes, I've seem first tier banks and other major
corporate entities screw up their backups and their backup/restore for
various reasons.

So why add aggravation?
Forget the fiddle-fiddle: AUTOMATE!
And to automate you want to have set procedures that are SIMPLE and
RELIABLE and can't go wrong.

Of course you may like fiddle-fiddle, you make like showing of your geek
street cred with such virtuoso. YMMV.

I try to get my partitions to be around 5G so that I can copy the
snapshots to DVD.

But again, you just need to select 5 GB of files, not complete partitions.

Fiddle-fiddle.
Sorry, I'll take SIMPLIFY.
Doing the partition I'm sure I've not missed anything :-)
No "oops" in the patterns ....

--
I would rather try to persuade a man to go along, because once I have
persuaded him he will stick. If I scare him, he will stay just as long