Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On Thursday 09 August 2012, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Thursday, August 09, 2012 08:38:14 Anton Aylward wrote:
Andreas Jaeger said the following on 08/09/2012 07:59 AM:
On the other hand, going forward I suggest to not setup a
separate /usr anymore, there's no benefit in it.

Backups?
More to the point, management of backups.

Oh, right, you've got some Sony DAT tape thing that can take half a
terabyte and a budget for an endless supply of tapes ...

Unlike many of us ...

I don't understand how a separate /usr helps with backups. Could you
elaborate, please?

If one prefers to backup whole file systems rather than dealing with
directory trees and complicated/dangerous in/exclude rules then it
might help to keep it small by separating /usr.
Another point would be if you share /usr read-only across many machines
then you have to backup only one /usr.

cu,
Rudi