[opensuse] tranfer a DVD to *.avi or WMP files?
This may be off topic but I find this forum very helpful.

I have some old VCR tapes I want to transfer to DVD.
I have a VCR/DVD combo recorder that I can dub VCR to DVD.
How can you convert the DVD to *.avi files or Windows
Media Player files so I can e-mail them to my family?
I googled this and found an opensource Windows .exe program "handbrake"
and "handbrake" in linux but couldn't get either to run.

Has anyone tranfered a DVD to *.avi or WMP files?

jozien