Re: [opensuse] how to password protect a portable harddrive for data exchange between windows and Linux?

On 2012-08-07 19:49, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

I would like to know of people using this feature, that they tell their
experiences with
it...

The ATA security feature is a access control feature, not a encryption
feature.

Ah! That was my most important doubt.

I have seen it used on laptops a number of times, but in general if a company
wants to have
their info encrypted, they don't use the ATA access control feature.

Make sense.

But it can be used as a deterrent against normal thieves, they can not sell the
hardware as it
costs a lot to recover.

I don't recall ever seeing ATA access control used on a desktop computer or
on an external
disk, and I see a few hundred client drives each year (lots of random
clients, so it's a
reasonable sample.).

Interesting. But it can be used, anyway, can it?

A friend of mine used some software to erase a disk, and aparently it used the
security delete
feature with password. He got tired of waiting, killed the software, and the
disk was not usable.
Fortunately restarting that software got around it, the password they used was
fixed and published
(or hacked, I don't remember)

fyi: to bypass the access control is not trivial, but there are definitely
commercial tools you
can buy to do it (~$10K per my understanding) or you can have a data recovery
company do it as
a service. (Not sure what they charge).

A fair bit, surely.

- --