Re: [opensuse] how to password protect a portable harddrive for data exchange between windows and Linux?
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2012-08-07 10:00, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 07/08/12 17:54, Per Jessen wrote:

Only way to find out is to give the distributor a call :-) , but I don't see
why it shouldn't
work as the password is built-in into the controller on the HDD.

in Linux, look at man hdparm, the "ATA Security Feature Set" section. If it
works (I have never
tried it) in linux is a CLI command and mount it. In Windows you need a
program (?) to access the
same features.

I would like to know of people using this feature, that they tell their
experiences with it...

The ATA security feature is a access control feature, not a encryption feature.

I have seen it used on laptops a number of times, but in general if a
company wants to have their info encrypted, they don't use the ATA
access control feature.

I don't recall ever seeing ATA access control used on a desktop
computer or on an external disk, and I see a few hundred client drives
each year (lots of random clients, so it's a reasonable sample.).

fyi: to bypass the access control is not trivial, but there are
definitely commercial tools you can buy to do it (~$10K per my
understanding) or you can have a data recovery company do it as a
service. (Not sure what they charge).

Greg