Re: [opensuse] how to password protect a portable harddrive for data exchange between windows and Linux?
Per Jessen wrote:
I haven't worked with Windows in 10+ years, but now I occasionally have
the need to transfer data (usually large amounts) from a customer
Windows (XP or newer) machine to our local Linux machines - usually on
a portable 2Tb USB-connected harddrive. This is generally done ad-hoc,
so no real time or possiblity to prep the source Windows system with
software etc.

Is there a way to encrypt or password protect such a harddrive/
filesystem such that it is accessible from Windows and Linux both?
(with very few or no changes on the Windows source system). If the
same systems would work the Macs too it would be great :-)

All pointers appreciated.

Take a look at TrueCrypt. In openSUSE, there's a package called "RealCrypt" which is a modified version of TrueCrypt
http://www.truecrypt.org/

realcrypt - Free Open-Source Disk Encryption Software

Based on TrueCrypt, freely available at http://www.truecrypt.org/.
RealCrypt is mainly just a rebrand to allow for modifications to take place, functionality remains all the same.
Main Features: - Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk. - Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a storage device such as USB flash drive. - Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent. - Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password: 1) Hidden volume (steganography). 2) No RealCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be distinguished from random data). - Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5, Serpent, Triple DES, and Twofish. Mode of operation: LRW (CBC supported as legacy).