Re: [opensuse] how to password protect a portable harddrive for data exchange between windows and Linux?
  • From: Mark Goldstein <goldstein.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:37:03 +0300
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mark Goldstein wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I haven't worked with Windows in 10+ years, but now I occasionally have
the need to transfer data (usually large amounts) from a customer
Windows (XP or newer) machine to our local Linux machines - usually on
a portable 2Tb USB-connected harddrive. This is generally done ad-hoc,
so no real time or possiblity to prep the source Windows system with
software etc.

Is there a way to encrypt or password protect such a harddrive/
filesystem such that it is accessible from Windows and Linux both?
(with very few or no changes on the Windows source system). If the
same systems would work the Macs too it would be great :-)

All pointers appreciated.

I'm using truecrypt. You can encrypt either the whole disk partition
or create "container file" with encrypted partition (I'm using this
option). The encrypted partition is readable/writable in either Win or
Lin (I only tried WinXP).

Thanks Mark - I guess truecrypt needs to be installed on Windows?

Apologies for writing out of list, it was by mistake.

Sure, both on Win and on Linux. There is no ready-to-use package for
oS (licensing issues, IIRC), but there is simple installer on
truecrypt site.

--
Mark Goldstein