Re: [opensuse] how to password protect a portable harddrive for data exchange between windows and Linux?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 10:13:37 +0200
Bernhard Voelker wrote:

On 08/07/2012 09:32 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
I haven't worked with Windows in 10+ years, but now I occasionally
have the need to transfer data (usually large amounts) from a
customer Windows (XP or newer) machine to our local Linux machines -
usually on a portable 2Tb USB-connected harddrive. This is generally
done ad-hoc, so no real time or possiblity to prep the source Windows
system with software etc.

Is there a way to encrypt or password protect such a harddrive/
filesystem such that it is accessible from Windows and Linux both?
(with very few or no changes on the Windows source system). If the
same systems would work the Macs too it would be great :-)

All pointers appreciated.

A collegue told me that he got it to work between Ubuntu and XP
with Truecrypt, so with OpenSuSE it should also work.

Thanks Berny, someone already wrote to me off-line and suggested
Truecrypt. It looks like a good possibility.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.8°C)