Re: [opensuse] how to password protect a portable harddrive for data exchange between windows and Linux?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 09:54:37 +0200
Basil Chupin wrote:

On 07/08/12 17:32, Per Jessen wrote:
I haven't worked with Windows in 10+ years, but now I occasionally
have the need to transfer data (usually large amounts) from a
customer Windows (XP or newer) machine to our local Linux machines -
usually on
a portable 2Tb USB-connected harddrive. This is generally done
ad-hoc, so no real time or possiblity to prep the source Windows
system with software etc.

Is there a way to encrypt or password protect such a harddrive/
filesystem such that it is accessible from Windows and Linux both?
(with very few or no changes on the Windows source system). If the
same systems would work the Macs too it would be great :-)

All pointers appreciated.

Aren't there external HDDs available which have password protection? I
think Western Digital have such HDDs.

I think the password feature is built into the harddisks these days, but
does it work with Windows out-of-the-box? I am hoping for a scenario
like this:

(0. prep harddisk)
1. send harddisk to customer
2. customer connects disk and copies over data
3. harddisk is sent back to me.
4. copy data to local Linux systems

Data should be protected against theft and prying eyes while in transit
(2-4). The amount of effort in step 0 and 4 is not critical.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.9°C)