Re: [opensuse] Re: Thunderbird - losing email (archive stops 2010, inbox empty before 5/2011)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 13:24:10 +0200
Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

Am 05.08.2012 03:43, schrieb Linda Walsh:
Seems like there is a bug in Tbird not allowing selection of IMAP
only folder that can hold messages and folders (from my quick skim).

? I use IMAP folders which have messages and subfolders. Not sure what
you mean.

The tbird folks have not proven very IMAP friendly over the years...
with defaults like downloading the IMAP store to local storage
on windows to the user's "roaming profile", and then having most
of their features only work for local content.

Thunderbird is known to support IMAP very well compared to many other
MUAs. The reason to download all mail by default is offline usability
and local indexing

I would tend to agree with Linda that it is a poorly chosen default.

They never got that many IMAP servers had search abilities that run
quite a bit quicker than a javascript-searches--and that IMAP
servers were really like file-systems -- not something to downloaded
like POP mail that they predominantly dealt with...

IMAP has search capabilities indeed. But how many do have full text
search with an index by default?

Impossible to say - I guess the TB folks think it's unusual for a server
to have.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.2°C)