Re: [opensuse] What the reason behind the Mozilla "version race"?
Hello,

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Am 23.07.2012 02:36, schrieb John Andersen:
I'm aware of that. A total failure if you ask me. Mainstream plugins
seem to crap out
with every release. EVERY tiny little point release.
How is it that such little steps break the API or hooks that the plug ins
require every single time?

These aren't fringe plugins I'm talking about.

Hmm, you are sure that is the current situation?
Usually all my addons are still working after an update. So "my"
mainstream addons work. And for point releases that has been the case
for a long time now. I have to admit that there are sometimes issues for
me since I'm usually running Aurora and addons are not always already
capable of running in it.

I've had a lot of cases (with seamonkey), where the only thing that
was "failing" was the extension author wasn't expecting stuff to work
past a certain release. In almost all cases I sufficed for me to just
edit the install.rdf inside the zip-file .xpi. E.g.:

<!-- target: Mozilla Firefox, version 3.5 and later -->
<em:targetApplication>
<Description>
<em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>3.5</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>20.0.*</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>
<!-- target: SeaMonkey version 2.0 and later -->
<em:targetApplication>
<Description>
<em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>2.17.*</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>

or whatever ;) The easiest way to do that is to use 'mc' and it's
built-in editor, that saves the change right back into the .xpi.

HTH,
-dnh

--
Und wenn du denkst dich mag niemand mehr, dann kommt der Christopher
und siggt dich sehr. [Christopher Splinter in dag°]