Re: [opensuse] Re: openSUSE build & testing procedure and faulty pruning of builds causing build failures
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:15:04 +0200
On Saturday 21 July 2012 17:11:24 David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012, Linda Walsh wrote:
Marcus Meissner wrote:
[..]

That rpmbuild works within a system was always optional.
Patches are welcome btw.

Could you point the sources and documentation for the tools

you use to produce binary & source RPM's, *OTHER* than rpmbuild?

Can you not or don't you want to understand Marcus?

To build .rpm files, you need rpmbuild (or a very old rpm from before
rpmbuild was split off from rpm).

Separate "-devel" packages weren't widely used if at all

sometime before 10 or 9. It was assumed they were included by installing
the product.

Bulls...! There were plenty of devel packages on S.u.S.E 5.3, they
just were called differently, e.g. glib-devel was called glibdev,
others had just a 'd' added, e.g. lesstif / lesstifd.

Oh, interesting. I didn't know that. When I checked for my response to the
above, I just greped for "devel" in INDEX.gz and 7.1 was the first place I got
a hit

Your info would explain that. Nice

Anders