Re: [opensuse] What the reason behind the Mozilla "version race"?
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 19:12:30 +0200
On Friday 20 Jul 2012 11:38:13 David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys, Lew,

Does anybody have any understanding about why Mozilla sees fit to race
forward with version numbers on what seems like an every other month pace?
We enjoyed firefox/tbird version 2.x-3.x for what seems like years, yet we
have raced from 3.x - 14.x in the blink of an eye.

Anybody know why? I understand how version numbers work, major/minor
milestones, build numbers, etc.., but I'm just curious if anyone has the
scoop on why we've jumped from 3-14 in such a short period of time -
relatively speaking.

Previously Firefox users might have had to wait a long time for a new
significant release that might include dozens of new features. Now you will
see smaller numbers of improvements, but released at more frequent intervals.

Sites and web based applications are almost never "finished" but are
constantly in a state of iteration. Rapid iteration of browser releases allows
both backend and UX developers to leverage new browser technology more
rapidly.

The chromium browser has long been released like this and that team was able
to get more new features to users and developers more quickly than other
browsers. I think for this reason Firefox had to adopt a similar release
strategy or see it's market share start to dwindle in favour of
chromium/chrome other webkit browsers.

There are other potential benefits for Firefox users such as reduced number of
bugs to manage on each release and much easier QA due to smaller changesets.

Cheers the noo,
Graham