Re: [opensuse] What the reason behind the Mozilla "version race"?
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:51:45 +0200
On Friday 20 July 2012 11:38:13 David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys, Lew,

Does anybody have any understanding about why Mozilla sees fit to race
forward with version numbers on what seems like an every other month pace?
We enjoyed firefox/tbird version 2.x-3.x for what seems like years, yet we
have raced from 3.x - 14.x in the blink of an eye.

Anybody know why? I understand how version numbers work, major/minor
milestones, build numbers, etc.., but I'm just curious if anyone has the
scoop on why we've jumped from 3-14 in such a short period of time -
relatively speaking.

The official reason is to get new features to users quicker.

The real reason is that chrome (and internet explorer) had much higher version
numbers, and the sad truth is that to some users, higher version numbers means
better software - not especially sane or rational, but true. Slackware did the
same thing some years ago when they jumped from 4 to 7 in one go, to "catch
up" with other linux distros

Anders