Re: [opensuse] Re: openSUSE build & testing procedure and faulty pruning of builds causing rpmbuild failures
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 06:14:53 -0400
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What it *sounds* like is that openSuSE is no longer a development
/ build environment -- that is supported to work to build it's own
RPM's.

Linda,

You are tilting a windmills and you know it.

openSUSE has moved to a new build paradigm and you are complaining the
old one no longer works and you can't use it to build the distro
pieces.

I think this thread (series of threads) have made is clear the core
set of openSUSE maintianers simply don't care if the old legacy way
still works or not.

openSUSE has invested great effort into obs and they are properly
proud of it. I think OBS is one of the crown jewels of opensuse.

The normal way from my perspective to build a package is to checkout a
local copy of the package from OBS and use "osc build" to build it.

You've argued that since that interacts with OBS it isn't satisfactory.

It is untested for me but working with a source tarball this should
work in isolation from OBS.

mkdir ~/osc
mkdir ~/osc/my_local_projects
cd ~/osc/my_local_projects
osc importsrcpkg <source rpm> --local-package
cd <package>
osc build --local-package

I don't use the --local-package option, so I don't know if the above
works, but questions / bugzillas / feature requests related to the
above are more likely to get positive response than harping on about a
methodology that is not used by the opensuse maintainers to build
packages.

I do have confidence that if you drop the --local-package options and
assuming you have your OBS account initialized (by logging into OBS
one time) and you have internet access then something like the above
will work except it is more like:

mkdir ~/osc
cd ~/osc
osc co home:<my_user_id>
cd ~/osc/home\:<my_user_id>
osc importsrcpkg <source rpm>
cd <package>
osc build

You may not like the new workflow, but to argue openSUSE has lost the
ability to build packages locally is simply false. It is just that
opensuse has moved to a new paradigm and you are still using the old
one.

Greg