Re: [opensuse] How to Recover a folder structure from an Ext4 partition that was repaired with fsck
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 23:22:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2012-07-18 at 10:50 -0400, Kym wrote:

fsck -t ext4 -fy /dev/sdb4

The partition was successfully mounted and all the files were recovered, but they appear in numbered folders, under <lost+found> folder.

It is curious how this happens on very different filesystem types, when damaged badly. Last time I saw that was on an NTFS partition (MFT damaged). Photorec recovered most of the files, but all directories where converted to numbers. In the end, I had to use proprietary software (Restorer Ultimate), which I saw recomended at the photorec site, of all places.

I remember that in MsDos times we had utilities that did backups of the directory structure in files placed strategically on the disks. Perhaps we should do the same now :-?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)