Re: [opensuse] How to Recover a folder structure from an Ext4 partition that was repaired with fsck
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:54:07 -0400
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Kym <kymacoll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello

Looking for help on this ():

I've got a PC with a 320GB hdd. And this is the partition structure:

sda1 - - - /boot - - - (200 MB) - - - Ext4
sda2 - - - swap - - (8 GB) - - - - - Swap
sda3 - - - / - - - - - - (20 GB) - - - - Ext4
sda4 - - - /home - - - (270 GB) - - - Ext4

The HOME partition was corrupted. Then I plug the disk in another PC, via
USB adapter, and ran:

fsck -t ext4 -fy /dev/sdb4

The partition was successfully mounted and all the files were recovered, but
they appear in numbered folders, under <lost+found> folder.

--> Now my question:
Is there any way I could recover the original folder structure?
(there are plenty of files, and it is a huge task to re-catalog them in a
new structure)

Thanks in advance
Kyma

I doubt it will help, but you could try ext4magic.
http://software.opensuse.org/package/ext4magic?search_term=ext4magic

If you speak German, the main site is:
http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikide/index.php/BerliosProject:Ext4magic
I think there is an english version of that page, but I don't know the
url and I don't speak German, so I can't tell you what it says.

If it learn anything about how ext4magic works, please create a
opensuse wiki page for it and I'll add a link to it from the Digital
Forensics portal:
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Digital_Forensics_/_Incident_Response

Thanks
Greg