Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.3 and Hard drives
  • From: Chuck Payne <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:55:34 -0400
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Dave Howorth
<dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chuck Payne wrote:
I going to rebuild. I notice that one of the drives is slowing the
system down. So I am going to remove all then set up a flash drive so
that I can all one of the six drives to see which one is bad. I might
have a bad drive.

Well, you can identify the drive that is causing the error easily
enough. All the errors refer to "sd 7:0:0:0: [sde]", so what drive is that?

Also, I don't understand why nobody has asked you what model of drives
you have? And you still haven't answered Felix's sensible questions?

To answer all, it appears the issue was power. I had a mix of IDE and
SATA drives, one of the IDE was drawing too much power. I pulled all
the drives, pull in a share SATA Drive I had, and build a new server
(11.4). Then one by one I added the drives back to the server. The
SATA drives were ok. By the minute I added this one 250GB that about 9
years old, the errors came back on other drives that didn't have
errors. I remove it everything when a went away.

I was running 11.3 with the last kernel 2.6.34.10-0.6.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 8-10, 2012 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org