Re: [opensuse] Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL
On 07/15/2012 11:25 AM, Linda Walsh wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

rpmbuild is not supported as far as I know, use osc and OBS.....
---
They do not comply with the GPL -- they require accounts and
off-machine "permissions" (i.e. a form of "licensing") to build...and
do not support a local build. Besides the fact that they don't
easily install and did not install under 11.4 and have not installed
under 12.1. Apparently I don't have the correct extra -required-
proprietary information needed to build those packages.

That's violates the GPL.

This suggests that SuSE wants to control and oversee what people do
with openSuSE. With each new release of OpenSuSE, it becomes
increasingly difficult to do local builds, even with all the required
devel packages installed. OBS is not acceptable for devel work or for
non-public code. There are things that people want to do that are
nobody else's business at all.

jd