Re: [opensuse] ext4 vs btrfs
  • From: nex6 <borg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 23:15:42 -0700
* Hans Witvliet <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2012-07-13 00:29:25 +0200]:

Hi all,

I was wondering when should one choose ext4 and when btrfs...

Ofcourse i've googling for it, but in some comparisons they only measure
throughput in general. I agree that _is_ important, but i presume other
factors also play a role...
When dealing with config files (in "/etc/.." or so) it is probably very
handy to be able to do a roll-back.

But when dealing with a large collection of ISO's ?
Or when doing a local mirror? In that case one isn't interested in the
possibility of a roll-back. But more in general overhead caused by
intermediate inodes and so-on.

And i presume that having mbox on btrfs isn't a good idea either.

Any bright idea's when to use what FS?

Hans

personally, I use ext3 or ext4 depending on a few factors mostly internal
polictys.
I personally think btrfs is to new, and XFS is making MUCH better progress. and
its tool and support chain are much farther along.

my 2 cents.....

-Nex6