Re: [opensuse] Reiserfs (was ext4 vs btrfs)
Duaine Hechler said the following on 07/12/2012 09:07 PM:
On 07/12/2012 06:43 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 12/07/12 18:29, Hans Witvliet escribió:
Hi all,

I was wondering when should one choose ext4 and when btrfs...

Ofcourse i've googling for it, but in some comparisons they only measure
throughput in general. I agree that _is_ important, but i presume other
factors also play a role...
When dealing with config files (in "/etc/.." or so) it is probably very
handy to be able to do a roll-back.

But when dealing with a large collection of ISO's ?
Last time I checked, XFS worked better for larger files, things might
have changed in the meanwhile though.

I use BTRFS daily and while it usually works, the error handling is
still sketchy to say the least and will BUG or panic in such cases.. but
to be fair, it has improved significantly in recent kernels.

Filesystem corruption is also a possibility, personally I got hit once
in the last months and took me a while to figure out I needed to zero
the filesystem log to keep going. fsck will not help you in that case.

Well, I know it's a little passe, but I've been using reiserfs for about 4
years and love it. The recovery is great !
And I've never had it totally go belly up on me !

+1

I tried BtrFS and went back to ReiserFS 'cos it ... somewhere in the
spectrum between scared me and bothered me.

To work properly you need to pour just about everything into the one
BtrFS, as far as I can see, so it can do its magic. You then treat it
logically as many sort-of-partitioned-file-systems using the subvolume
mechanism.

But using ReiserFS on top of LVM I'm getting some of the things that
BtrFS can do. Certainly many of the ones I'm interested in like btree
indexing and snapshots.

And I'm much happier having separate partitions, eve if they are only
LVM, for each FS.

Isn't there something about how long a FSCK takes depending on something
like the square or other Nth power of the size of the FS, having to
check all nodes ...

Like others I'm holding off. There are still to many imponderables
about BtrFS.

I mean, how many of us *need* a blindly fast FS or a bleeding edge one
other than to boost our Geek-cred? Heck, ext4 on a SSD ... can you do
striping across SSDs? I've got better things to do than find that out
for myself.

--
Originality is the art of remembering the quote but forgetting the source.